Monday, May 24, 2010

*Theology Intensive*

I cannot believe that it is already summer!!! This week I am taking a one-week intensive course here at Liberty. I am taking Theology 201 with Dr. Ergun Caner. So to be perfectly honest, I was rather intimidated about taking this course at first. However, after the first few hours I felt completely comfortable and learned so much. The word, "Theology," itself was a little intimidating to me because I had no clue of what to expect.

So, I just wanted to share a few things that I learned today in this course with you and maybe they will help you learn something new today! We talked about the key issues that Theology involves, here are a few: 1. The Name of God, 2. The Nature of God or His defining characteristics, 3. Love vs. Wrath. I also learned that truth with no love = legalism, and love with no truth = liberalism. Also, Theology is not man talking about God, but rather how God reveals and defines Himself.

Sometimes we may wonder why is it important to study Theology, and we can find in the following 2 verses the importance of studying Theology.

1 John 5:13
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.


We also talked about how religion is not Christianity. Religion is defined as a set of rites and rituals by which man seek the favor or to stop the wrath of a god or gods. I would like to leave you with one final thought/statement.
Jesus Christ will NOT give you salvation, hope, joy, peace, etc. but Jesus Christ actually takes your sin and He BECOMES your; salvation, hope, joy, peace, etc. This is a very powerful statement and I believe we should always praise Him for what He has done for us and what He will do for us in the future. I will be updating my blog daily with new information I learn in the course. Hope that you enjoy reading it!!

May God Bless You
Ashley :)

No comments: